For many patients with concerns about the alignment and appearance of their teeth the thought of having fixed metal braces for a number of months or even years stops them from being able to achieve what they’ve always wanted – straighter teeth.
With Invisalign, our patients benefit from a revolutionary orthodontic treatment that provides slow, comfortable and almost completely invisible teeth straightening in the form of clear retainers (or aligners). They are made especially for you and are formed from an impression of your mouth – providing a perfect fit to help gradually rotate, move and straighten your teeth over time.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is not actually a brace. What most people think of when they picture braces are the traditional metal and train track style braces with wires and brackets that have been used in dentistry now for decades.
Invisalign does not attach to the teeth the way fixed braces do but instead comes in the form of clear, custom made aligners which fit over your teeth in the similar way that a thin mouth guard would. These aligners are swapped every 1 – 2 weeks for the ‘next stage’ in the set and work to gently and gradually move the teeth into their new position.
What Does the Invisalign Process Involve?
At your initial consultation our expert orthodontists will take impressions of your teeth to get a clear idea of what can be achieved and help you decide on the best teeth straightening option for you.
If you are a suitable candidate for Invisalign then we will create a bespoke treatment plan for you and advise you on the price, timeframes and instructions of how to get the best results from your Invisalign treatment.
Once your trays are created you will wear them in the order stated – changing them for the next set every 1 – 2 weeks. They are made of a thin, clear, strong, non-toxic plastic that is medical grade and designed to fit comfortably over your teeth with minimal fuss or discomfort. The aligners are tailor made for your teeth and your teeth alone and each new tray is designed to slowly move your teeth over time.
Throughout the treatment you will require occasional check-ups with us to help monitor and track your progress and ensure that the treatment is working as it should be and that you are happy with everything. These appointments might involve adding attachments to your teeth and interproximal reduction or stripping to slenderise the teeth.
The length of treatment will depend on the individual patient, their teeth and how consistently they wear their retainers. On average Invisalign treatment usually take between 6 and 14 months.
The Advantages of Invisalign
Invisalign is an extremely popular method of treatment for patients wanting a subtle and practical solution for straightening their teeth. Not only does this method allow patients to work, eat, play and go about their lives as normal but offers a number of additional benefits too.
- Discreet – Invisalign aligners are so appealing because they are practically invisible so you can achieve a straighter, beautiful smile without having to worry about how they look.
- Removable – Unlike fixed braces Invisalign are extremely easy to take out and put back in. They can be removed easily to eat and drink with minimal fuss.
- Dental Hygiene – The wires, bands and brackets on traditional braces can make keeping your teeth clean extremely difficult. With Invisalign, simply remove your retainer and floss and brush as normal!
- Comfortable – Although there can be tenderness and minor discomfort at the start of each new tray as your teeth adjust to the aligner, most patients find Invisalign to be a comfortable and nearly painless treatment.
- Better for Your Teeth – Because of the way Invisalign treatment works it significantly reduces the risk of things like root resorption which can be caused when moving the teeth. It also eliminates the potential for damage to the enamel that can be caused by the adhesive that bonds the brackets to the teeth with metal braces.
- Music and Sports – Patients who enjoy music or sports as part of their lifestyle will be pleased to know that Invisalign offers much more flexibility, whether it means being able to take them out or keep them in.
- Enjoy the Results – Because Invisalign is a clear treatment there is no need to wait for the ‘final day’ to see your results. You can enjoy your improved teeth alignment throughout the whole process as they gradually move into place.
Am I a Good Candidate for Invisalign?
Invisalign can be used to treat a variety of orthodontic problems from misalignment and overcrowding to underbites, overbites and crossbites.
Invisalign is suitable for patients of almost all ages and works very well for older teenagers and adults. However, children and young teenagers are unlikely to be good candidates because their teeth and jaws are still growing and will most likely need to wait until they are older.
You must be dedicated to straightening your teeth. The aligners need to be worn consistently for a minimum of 22 hours a day in order for treatment to be effective and for your teeth to move at the rate you’d expect.
If you suffer from complex dental issues such as gum disease, then Invisalign may still be possible but you could require additional treatments prior to beginning the straightening process. If Invisalign isn’t right for you then we will help to come up with an alternative solution that will get you the results you want in a safe and comfortable way that is best for your dental health.
Book Your Invisalign Consultation Today
It’s never too late to get the smile you’ve always wanted. If you’d like to speak to someone about Invisalign treatment, then call Advent Dental on – 01245 496791 to speak to one of our friendly advisors who can help book you in for your consultation.